The Bible says that Jesus came for the poor, the weak, the needy, the submitted and the man who is willing to give up control of his life.

But I grew up in a country that has taught me the exact opposite. America says that I am supposed to make sure I am not poor, not broken, not needy, in charge and in control of everything in my life. I am supposed to make a lot of money and and build up a trust fund so that I don't have to rely on anyone else.

So that's what this blog is about... it's about the hope of a community working through the balance of self and selflessness. It's about a Lexus or a Honda... faith or control... 401K or giving... God or the American dream? It's about honesty... it's about you reading this and thinking about it... responding and figuring this life out with me. So please join me by clicking the follow button right below my picture...

Friday, August 13, 2010

Thanks guys...

Thanks guys for your inputs. It has helped and I have spent some time talking to my wife more and more about this stuff. You know I think I have kinda realized that my view of money is a heart issue and maybe there isn't necessarily a line. I think it's just important to make sure that I keep the one true God as my God and realize that my handling of money is simply a way to show Him this. I read through your guys' posts a few times and this is kinda what I concluded:
- There is nothing wrong with having money as long as it doesn't control me.
- There is nothing wrong with saving up my money and striving to pay off my huge anesthesia school debts.
- There is nothing wrong with spending money as long as it is not spent extravagantly and wastefully.
- It is important to be aware of others needs and provide financial support to them by making some sacrifices in my own life.
- Finally, as long as I look to His guidance for my financial decisions and truly try to honor Him with them... then I am keeping Him as my God (and not money as my God).

Again, I appreciate all of your thoughts on this topic. I don't want this blog to always be about money and these issues, but this has been something on my heart a lot recently.

Right now I am reading through Ephesians and Phillipians and I have really come across some awesome stuff that I am gonna start sharing on here tomorrow. As for now, its finally Friday night so I am about to head out to dinner with my wonderful wife and spend some good quality time with her. I love all you guys and I'll talk to you soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment