The Bible says that Jesus came for the poor, the weak, the needy, the submitted and the man who is willing to give up control of his life.

But I grew up in a country that has taught me the exact opposite. America says that I am supposed to make sure I am not poor, not broken, not needy, in charge and in control of everything in my life. I am supposed to make a lot of money and and build up a trust fund so that I don't have to rely on anyone else.

So that's what this blog is about... it's about the hope of a community working through the balance of self and selflessness. It's about a Lexus or a Honda... faith or control... 401K or giving... God or the American dream? It's about honesty... it's about you reading this and thinking about it... responding and figuring this life out with me. So please join me by clicking the follow button right below my picture...

Thursday, August 12, 2010

The invisible line...

Hey guys thanks for posting back with some or your thoughts and ideas. After reading through what you guys all said I think that you are all kind of wondering the same thing I am... where do we draw the line? Where does a need become a want? Where does tithing/giving become truly surrendering? Where does providing become hoarding? Where does taking care of our future children become spoiling?  

Where is the invisible line that separates most American men from God?

I don't have an answer... it's something that I think about quite often though. I know my wife thinks about it a lot too... the poor girl says it exhausts her sometimes when she wonders if it is wrong to take a vacation when half of the world can't even pay for a gallon of milk. It's funny because 4 of you wrote back and all said that you have thought about this a lot recently... so it's obviously a huge issue, but no one really talks about it you know? Sure the church talks about tithing, but I've seen very few people nut up... stand up and say, "It's either money or God and I choose God." (And then actually live that way). Hey I could actually even respect someone if they said they choose money... cuz at least they would be honest. I can tell my Christian friends that money isn't my God, but I still spend more time during the day focusing on financial and material things than I do the creator of the world.

So how do I get out of this selfish, hoarding, financially-driven mindset? How can I be a great husband/future father and provider without selling out on God's commands? How can I find a balance so that I can stand before Him one day and look Him in the eye and say YOU are my GOD and I LIVED for YOU ALONE!? I'm not entirely sure yet... but I'm working on it... and I'll prolly be working on it until I see him face to face. What ya'll think?

3 comments:

  1. Berg,
    I've been going through some of that stuff, too. I'm finding the importance of having a relationship with God and recognizing His voice on where to go/what to do...more prayer...time in the word...and having a relationship with the Body to understand more of His desires and our calling. all 4 I'm working on, too. keep at it tho bro. call me whenever

    smitty

    ReplyDelete
  2. because we won't have the answer until we see Him face to face, I feel like all we can do is be open to ALL of the opportunities he lays before us. Like ... I don't need to feel convicted every time I buy a pair of $50 jeans. But if I am aware of someone or some thing that needs that $50, and I choose to ignore it so that I can fulfill a wordly desire of looking good, then I have absolutely crossed the line. I have chosen money and myself over God and His mission.
    I am convinced that if I am TRULY searching, he will reveal to me what to do with each and every penny I own. And sometimes he will make money available as a blessing to me and my family, and many other times, he will make it available so that I can bless others.
    First things first, I think we gotta sincerely pray that He will align the desires of our hearts with the desires of His. From there, we can just trust that He will continue to help us better understand what to do with our money, so that we can fulfill His will for us on earth.
    Love you ben. Thanks for inspiring me.

    http://lveale.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  3. Money is certainly a blessing and a burden. It can be hard at times to determine the difference between our wants and our needs but we need not be afraid our choices are in vain. Do not be afraid to save. Providing for our families is an important aspect of life and you don't need to feel guilty knowing your working to protect the future of your family. The burden of money can come from two angles. 1.) Are my wants outwaying my needs? When we are just kids our wants dominate in the form of toys and accessories. As we grow older me must learn to recognize what is essential. 2.) Couldn't my money be benefiting others? The truth as you said is astounding when it comes to the homeless and poor but you need not shoulder all the responsibilty. You're a good natured soul and the want to help others is a great trait but you will find as I have that there are more if not better ways to help others. For example, I have student loan debt, household bills and a girlfriend with a 4 year old girl to support. Giving money isn't my best option. I have found another way of giving and it's giving of ourselves. I'm sure there are organizations in your church, work, or in your community to get involved and make a difference. If what I've gathered from you, your thinking is a lot like mine in that you're searching for a higher purpose beyond your career to please God. It's out there. I'm a member of our Relay for Life Committe at Sterling Jewelers. I've also worked with Rebuilding Together to fix low income homes and I've worked side by side with the Salvation Army and the United Way. Give of yourself where and when you can and you're focus will begin to pull away from the constraints of monetary value. I believe the most important aspect of life is how we treat one another. The best way to advertise for life as a Christian is to lead by example. If you put yourself out in the public you will not only have a positive impact on those you've helped but you will garner a new self appreciation in the process. I can't tell you how many times in the past I've let my finacial burden dominate my thought process, but it doesn't have to and I don't allow it to any more. I know this response jumped around a bit but amongst my babbling I hope you've read something that helps ease your mind and maybe even points you in a new direction. Either way, God bless you for having the courage to take your faith to a public forum. Keep up the good work my friend!

    "I am a little pencil in the hand of a writing God who is sending a love letter to the world" -Mother Theresa

    ReplyDelete