The Bible says that Jesus came for the poor, the weak, the needy, the submitted and the man who is willing to give up control of his life.

But I grew up in a country that has taught me the exact opposite. America says that I am supposed to make sure I am not poor, not broken, not needy, in charge and in control of everything in my life. I am supposed to make a lot of money and and build up a trust fund so that I don't have to rely on anyone else.

So that's what this blog is about... it's about the hope of a community working through the balance of self and selflessness. It's about a Lexus or a Honda... faith or control... 401K or giving... God or the American dream? It's about honesty... it's about you reading this and thinking about it... responding and figuring this life out with me. So please join me by clicking the follow button right below my picture...

Wednesday, August 11, 2010

My first post...

So this is my first post. I thought about how to make it epic and impressive so it will blow everyone away and i will have a thousand followers by tomorrow. But my head hurts from school and all I can think of is this:

I got 250 bucks for my birthday and I'm trying to figure out some cool stuff that I could buy. But every time I try to think of what I want, this one freekin annoying thought keeps poking into my brain. There's like 2 billion people who live on less than 250 bucks year. Wow. Interesting fact to think about... I'm glad I am not them. I guess I'll use my 250 bucks to buy some cool new tennis gear or something. Or maybe I don't need it...

4 comments:

  1. Ben,

    That's awesome man. I've been thinking about the same stuff for a while now. One of the thoughts that challenges me is the idea of trying to out give God. Anytime I've sacrificed anything for him he's blessed me in more ways then I could imagine. So how much could we give and still survive? Is there any way that we could out give God? What if we gave away 10%, 50% of what we make, how about 75%? How about 100%? We serve an all powerful God, would giving that much be more than he could provide for us? Just something to think about. I'm interested to follow up with what you have. Take care man.

    Parks

    ReplyDelete
  2. That a boy Ben. This exact issue has been one of the biggest convictions I have dealt with, especially being married and the thought of children slowly creeping in to a five year plan. I have already decided that the American dream is like chasing the wind and is not a path I want my wife and I to start down and eventually teach to our kids. As a man seeking a life that is pleasing to God but still wants an adventure my struggles have been with the questions like "How much should I give?" "To whom should I give?" "Is there so such thing as too much?" "Is having nice things or living comfortably too much?" That's just to name a few. I hope you find something better than tennis gear for your $250, but it's awesome you are thinking about the issue. I also find it funny that in a world where all we do is want, it feels so good to give:It's ironic. I don't know if any of these thoughts are in the same ballpark as your own. If not, I just wrote a bunch of nothing. ha.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was actually just talking to someone about the concept of the American dream tonight. My friend Matt (the other one, Parksy) mentioned a book that's on his "to read" list by David Platt entitled Radical: Taking Back Your Faith From the American Dream. Don't know how much time you have to read with your class demands, but it might be something you're interested in. I can't personally give a recommendation, though.

    Our concept of money is so crazy. My friend who taught in China made somewhere around $1000 US/month- barely above the poverty line- and was still making nearly four times the average income. It would take someone about 8 years of wages to pay off a single year (at full cost) at MVNU. And China's just a middle of the road nation.

    It's cool to see you thinking about these things, bro. Questioning is never a bad thing. It's when we stop questioning- when apathy sets in- that we should worry.

    ReplyDelete
  4. you know this is actually pretty cool that you started this Ben. I have been wondering some of the same things. My Computer is getting ready to go so I am trying to justify getting a new one. I mean I know I "need" a computer to do my job and all but I just got to thinking what God can do with that $1000 that I have going to my computer.

    Then I had an Idea. Who says that God can't use my things? I know some of this does not have any application to some things but then again God said to give him at least 10% and that is not just talking about money. What if we as Christians began to give at least 10% of all that we have even the stupid stuff like our movies (letting someone watch them insted of renting it), our houses (inviting people over to give them a good evening), our computers (doing things for a local church or charity), our video game systems (playing with people that come over or having a kid come over for a coke and some big time gaming), and last of all our TIME!

    If we let God get ahold of at least 10% of everything we are and have what great things he could do with us!

    ReplyDelete